Tuesday, June 4, 2013

May Resolutions


May Resolutions

I am going to start this off with a big:

Sigh…

I don’t want to label my May resolutions as a giant “FAIL”, but I definitely left a lot of check boxes empty.

If you look back at my April Resolutions review, I had some big plans for May.  Too big now that I think of it.  The “bigness” of it is really what led to my resolution’s demise. Funny too, how I just finished reading “Small Change” (see My Reading List for the book Review) which discusses how beneficial it is to keep anything you’d like to work on in your life small.

To start with the slightly more positive side of things, lets look at Resolution 1 first.

Resolution 1: Work on my “Steps to Adventure”

I did okay on this.  I meant to get 4 steps done, but I did at least 3 (albeit the 3rd I didn’t finish completely until June 3rd).  I just didn’t plan on how time consuming these were going to be.  I had a general idea of the outline and some old notes, but I still wanted to add in more research and dig deeper for some ideas.  By the end, these would take at least 2-3 hours of my time.  With adding in a few more hours at work last month too, that was quite a chunk of time.  Still, I am pleased to have gotten them done.  When I have the time, I really enjoy working on them and would still love to improve on the steps. 

Resolution 2 is where things got rough, really rough.

Resolution 2:  Take Care of Business

This included:

·         Find a new doctor, schedule and go to appointment (no check)

·         Keep track of finances (money in $ money out) (half check-my measuring system was rounded)

·         Count calories in & out (half check-definitely far from exact)

·         Measure protein, carb, and fat intake (1/4 check- I did do this for protein!  I found out I was usually 5-10 grams under, and could simply fix the problem by taking a full scoop, instead of a half, of my Hammer Vegan Protein)

·         Review Third Federal banking policies (no check) (however I did at least borrow my older sister’s copy of “Women $ Money to see what I need to look for)

·         If needed, open new checking and savings account (again, no check)

·         See chiropractor, get leg looked at (no check)

·         Schedule dentist appointment (no check)

Yes, it looked like a great plan.  Not too hard, a little time consuming, but not that bad.  For some reason though, I just lacked the commitment.  I did look for a new doctor and chiropractor, but had no solid feedback, so I let those slip by.  For the others, I either just got lazy, or didn’t see them as that important when I did have free time.  An example of my thinking: “Well, my money situation isn’t the best, but it isn’t that bad” & “There may be areas for improvement in my nutrition, but I’ve been feeling pretty good, so I don’t really need to measure everything”.  Not my best excuses for relatively not so difficult tasks.

Still, I think I just put too much on my plate at one time.

Looking ahead:

June is a busy and big month for me (as you can probably tell as I am writing this 4 days into the month).

For one, Sandi and Sage are coming into town, and my # 1 goal is to spend as much time as possible with them.  Plus, we are all headed down to Cayuga Trails 50 in NY from Thursday through Sunday.

Then, it is time for summer camp at work.  I’m still not sure what my hours will be, or even if I will want to remain working there.

For my side job, I still need to keep up with my “Steps to Adventure”.

The weekends are already filled up between trips, spending time with Marie, hopefully going to Painesville to see my Lil’, and Topography.

AND, Black Hills 100 is June 29th!!!

So, I have a lot to be excited about and look forward to.  However, I want to be mindful of my schedule and time commitments.  Therefore, my resolutions will be relatively simple:

1)      Meditate & Visualize for Black Hills 100 for at least 5 minutes every day (included in this resolution is also reading the course description and finding pictures of the trail)

2)      Continue to work on my “Steps to Adventure” while also practicing what I write.  –This one may be cheating a little as I’m doubling up on last month’s resolution, but I know I still need to work on it and I think it will be good for me too.  Plus, it’s MY resolution, so I’m allowed to make my own rules J

That’s it for now.  I hope everyone has a wonderful June!  I know I will!

Happy Adventures,

Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment